Skip to main content

A testimony to snow tires – my Ice Bears clawed the road

“I’ve never intentionally gone out and purchased a set of snow tires,” he said. “Like most people, I buy all-season tires and I use them all year round. But, when I purchased my current vehicle, it turned out I also purchased a set of snow tires. That’s what was on it.”

The Hankook Ice Bears that came with his car were an eye-opening experience or, at least, they were the first time it snowed. As he explained, it was a bit of a surprise.

“Frankly, my car isn’t the off-road, heavy snow variety,” he said. “Rather than a high-ground clearance, like a Chevy Blazer or something, it hugs the road. It’s a sports car. When I say it hugs the road, I mean, it hugs the road. I feel disappointed when I drive somewhere and there aren’t any curves in the road. It’s as though I’ve been cheated.”

People who look at his car, assume that’s the case. It has a wide stance and a very low profile. 

Recently, someone was admiring the car but commented, almost sympathetically, “It’s gotta be a bit rough in the winter though, eh?” 

He admitted you would think so. That’s what he expected. Then that day came when he first drove it through the snow.

“Those Ice Bears clawed their way along as though they were just waiting for some snow to dig through,” he said. “I smiled and nodded politely as I rolled past people who were sitting in place with their tires spinning. They looked back, not so much with envy, but with shocked expressions and, maybe, just a little bit of awe.”

Unfortunately, he drove those Ice Bears all year round. The problem is that, along with their tread design, they also grab the road so well because they’re a softer tire. A harder tire sort of rides up on top of the road where a softer tire digs in. It’s a tradeoff: softer tires may wear a bit faster, too. That’s why it’s a good idea to use your snow tires in the winter and put on a more suitable set of tires in the spring.

When the time came, a little prematurely, to replace his Ice Bears, with some regret, he opted for a set of all-season tires. “I’m just not ready to pay for two sets of tires right now,” he explained. “However, my experience with those Ice Bears is not something I’ll soon forget.”

Now that he’s experienced snow tires, it’s not something he’ll easily forget.

“Don’t get me wrong,” he said, “I’m used to seeing 4-Wheel-Drive vehicles in the ditch because someone overestimated their ability to drive on ice and snow. My goal is to stay out of the ditch. Once I got the feel of driving on those Ice Bears, I was careful to stay within the limits of their capacity to keep me out of trouble, as well as to get me out of trouble.”

He said he has a real nice set of tires on the car today – they’re as good as any all-season tires he’s ever driven on. But they’re not snow tires and he’s convinced that, one of these days, there is another set of snow tires in his future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is your antifreeze safe from freezing this Richmond winter

You still have time to have it checked Well, there’s no denying it – winter tends to get chilly here in Richmond. We have to deal with snow and ice on the roads, scraping the same off our windows and windshield, and staying warm while we drive. Of course, you had your antifreeze checked before winter rolled into town. What?! You didn’t have your antifreeze checked before winter clamped down on Richmond? So, how’s your antifreeze doing?  If you haven’t had it checked, there’s really no way of knowing, is there? This car has overheated in the middle of a Richmond  winter. But, on the other end of the spectrum, the antifreeze can also freeze if it's not up to its job. Hopefully, you haven’t had a serious problem with your antifreeze already. If you did, you’d probably know. When antifreeze fails, it’s a potentially catastrophic condition for your vehicle’s engine. You could have hoses that have burst because of freezing antifreeze. Worse than that, your engine block may have crac...

Blocks of ice falling from cars in McHenry could cause accidents or damage

We’ve all seen those blocks of snow falling from behind the rear tires of a car when the snow rolls into McHenry . Fortunately, they’re just packed snow that will disintegrate under your vehicle’s tires as you simply drive right through them, right? Don’t count on it. Those blocks of snow are often packed so tight, condensed by the thaw-and-freeze cycle, that they’re anything but oversized snowballs . They’re often more like boulders.  Hit one of those blocks and the collision between the block and one of your tires could send you careening off the road or into oncoming traffic. In some cases, they’re so solid you could pound them with a sledgehammer with little effect. They truly can represent a serious road hazard. The problem is that it’s difficult to tell how solidly they’re packed when you see them on the road, left their unwittingly by another driver. Either way, your best bet is to try to avoid them. But you want to be careful dodging blocks of ice in the road, too. You need...

October 20 Hootenanny will benefit veterans with PTSD

Been to a Hootenanny lately? When you read that question did you ask, “What?” Well, if you have gone to a Hootenanny in a while, or if you don’t know what a hootenanny is, we have an event for Oct. 20 that will clear up either question. From 6 p.m. to Midnight, Saturday, Oct. 20, MC3, the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce business networking group, is helping to host an inaugural Veterans R&R Wild Horse Hootenanny at Beyond Stable Farm (11129 Rte. 176, Woodstock). The event will benefit Veterans R&R Operation Wild Horse. Operation Wild Horse serves veterans with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Working with the horses has proven to have an incredibly calming effect on the veterans. And, it’s good for the horses, too, rescued wild mustangs. This means that the hootenanny is for a very good cause. But, it’s also a lot of fun. So, what is a hootenanny? According to a Google search, a hootenanny is “an informal gathering with folk music and sometimes dancing.” The V...