Skip to main content

Performance Unlimited can make hotrod dreams come true


I was probably about 12 when I caught the bug. I collected hotrod cards: just like baseball cards but with pictures and statistics about dragsters. I was just outgrowing MatchBox and Hot Wheels, replacing them with building plastic models. With the models, I was able to build the cars I dreamed of owning one day when I was old enough to drive. Of course, I only built models of hotrods.

While building the models, the Bakelite AM radio on the wall behind me played the latest hits, such as Roundabout and Lola, interrupted by occasional commercials. In the case of one such commercial, a pair of pitchmen went into a fevered steroidal ranting that made it quite clear the only place to be Memorial Day was Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove: “Bring the family for a day of thrills in beautiful Southeast Wisconsin” (Here is a link to a Youtube version of the ad from a few years later).

In my case, it was overkill when the pitchmen mentioned that my heroes, such as ‘Big Daddy’ Don Garlits, Don Schumacher and Shirley ‘Cha Cha’ Muldowney, would be there in person with the cars I had only seen on my trading cards. I was hooked from the first suggestion of watching “wild pro stockers, wheel standers, thundering-nitro-burning dragsters” and the verbal promise that it was “the greatest spectacle in drag racing.”

One minute, my father was calmly reading his newspaper, the next he was bombarded with a 12-year-old’s promise that he hadn’t lived yet because he had never seen “earth-shaking, flame-throwing jet” dragsters. That proclamation was followed by desperate pleadings of, “Can we go? Please, can we go?”

Most people pinch their nose, hold their breath and run away from the smell of burning rubber. Me? I love it. The smell, the smoke, the roar of hundreds of horses pounding pistons at redline – it’s one big adrenaline rush. The radio pitchmen hadn’t exaggerated one iota. I absorbed the atmosphere from the stands spellbound as funny cars did bleach burnouts to get their slicks hot and sticky.

When I finally convinced my father it was worth the extra money to go back to the pits, I gained valuable knowledge I could apply to building my next model.  I watched the drag racers and their mechanics with awe noting that they spoke to each other like real people. One or two even smiled my way.

Can you imagine Don ‘The Snake’ Prudhomme looking your way and nodding with a knowing grin? I had made visual contact with one of the NHRA’s best. I was different after that; I had a little bit of hotrod in my veins from that day forward.

Eventually, my vision of drag racing glory went beyond 1/25th-scale plastic. Though raised in a Ford family, I became a Mopar man. For Chrysler, Mopar is a contraction of the words motor and parts. For me, it was a misspelled contraction of “More POweR.”

Fame didn’t follow me onto the quarter-mile dragstrip. In fact, I never advanced beyond a rank amateur who, in his teenage years, somehow thought he inherently knew enough to succeed. But, I loved the experience all the same. It’s part of who I am today even if I haven’t been to Great Lakes Dragaway in more than two or three decades.

I do have thoughts of going back someday – maybe even this year. I might even like to try my hand behind the wheel of another hotrod sometime. If I do it again, however, I’ll have enough sense to look for help from people who truly know the sport.

One such person, and someone I will rely on heavily, when the time comes, is Denny Norton and the team at Performance Unlimited. While Norton is well known for keeping the family car safely and reliably on the road, he and his shop are also renowned as experts in building, tuning and maintaining high performance automobiles.

With Performance Unlimited on my team, I know the only thing that would hold me back is the level of my skill as a driver or, as I like to put it, as a fuel-injected, drag-racing maniac.

If you’re ready to hit the dragstrip, or even an oval track or some other version of auto racing, you can turn to Performance Unlimited, too. For more information, call 815-728-0343 or visit: www.4performanceunlimited.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is your antifreeze safe from freezing this Richmond winter

You still have time to have it checked Well, there’s no denying it – winter tends to get chilly here in Richmond. We have to deal with snow and ice on the roads, scraping the same off our windows and windshield, and staying warm while we drive. Of course, you had your antifreeze checked before winter rolled into town. What?! You didn’t have your antifreeze checked before winter clamped down on Richmond? So, how’s your antifreeze doing?  If you haven’t had it checked, there’s really no way of knowing, is there? This car has overheated in the middle of a Richmond  winter. But, on the other end of the spectrum, the antifreeze can also freeze if it's not up to its job. Hopefully, you haven’t had a serious problem with your antifreeze already. If you did, you’d probably know. When antifreeze fails, it’s a potentially catastrophic condition for your vehicle’s engine. You could have hoses that have burst because of freezing antifreeze. Worse than that, your engine block may have crac...

Blocks of ice falling from cars in McHenry could cause accidents or damage

We’ve all seen those blocks of snow falling from behind the rear tires of a car when the snow rolls into McHenry . Fortunately, they’re just packed snow that will disintegrate under your vehicle’s tires as you simply drive right through them, right? Don’t count on it. Those blocks of snow are often packed so tight, condensed by the thaw-and-freeze cycle, that they’re anything but oversized snowballs . They’re often more like boulders.  Hit one of those blocks and the collision between the block and one of your tires could send you careening off the road or into oncoming traffic. In some cases, they’re so solid you could pound them with a sledgehammer with little effect. They truly can represent a serious road hazard. The problem is that it’s difficult to tell how solidly they’re packed when you see them on the road, left their unwittingly by another driver. Either way, your best bet is to try to avoid them. But you want to be careful dodging blocks of ice in the road, too. You need...

October 20 Hootenanny will benefit veterans with PTSD

Been to a Hootenanny lately? When you read that question did you ask, “What?” Well, if you have gone to a Hootenanny in a while, or if you don’t know what a hootenanny is, we have an event for Oct. 20 that will clear up either question. From 6 p.m. to Midnight, Saturday, Oct. 20, MC3, the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce business networking group, is helping to host an inaugural Veterans R&R Wild Horse Hootenanny at Beyond Stable Farm (11129 Rte. 176, Woodstock). The event will benefit Veterans R&R Operation Wild Horse. Operation Wild Horse serves veterans with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Working with the horses has proven to have an incredibly calming effect on the veterans. And, it’s good for the horses, too, rescued wild mustangs. This means that the hootenanny is for a very good cause. But, it’s also a lot of fun. So, what is a hootenanny? According to a Google search, a hootenanny is “an informal gathering with folk music and sometimes dancing.” The V...