Skip to main content

4-for-2 shocks and struts a deal to dream about


“Hey Cal, what’s with the long face?”

The other day I had a dream. It was April 1. We all know the significance of that date – the one day each year where we celebrate the practical jokers among us.

In my dream, I ran into an old friend I hadn’t seen a long time. He appeared anything but happy, hence the question above.

When I asked the question, Cal walked over to his car and said, “Watch this.” With that, he shoved down on the fender. He held it down for a couple seconds and then suddenly let it go. The fender sprung up traveling right past its original position. Then, it fell back down past that spot only to spring up and down again several times.

“Whoa, that’s not good,” I said. “I think you need some new shocks there buddy.”

“No kidding, Sherlock,” Cal said.

“Well, I mean that’s really bad, Cal,” I said, trying to ignore his sarcasm. “You should have done something about that in March.”

Shall we say the look on Cal’s face spoke volumes.

“I suppose you’re going to tell me about the Buy-2-get-2-free deal at Performance Unlimited* in Ringwood,” he said.

“Well, now that you mention it …”

“You also realize that deal ended yesterday?”

“Well, yes I …”

“Oh, well thank you so much,” Cal said, his voice again dripping with sarcasm. “Maybe you’d like to shove a sharp stick in my eye, while you’re at it.”

I was in the midst of apologizing when I woke from my dream. I lay on the bed a couple minutes before I suddenly jumped up and grabbed my phone. I called Cal and said, “Hey Cal.”

Surprise in his tone, Cal said, “Wow, long time. How have you been?”

“I’m OK,” I said. “But, that’s not why I called.”

“Oh, what’s up?” Cal asked.

“Do me a favor, will you?” I asked.

“If I can,” he said.

“Check your shocks today, OK?” I asked. “On your car – check to make sure your shocks are good.”

There was a long pause before Cal said, “This is something you feel strongly about?”

Now it was my turn for a long pause, realizing how strange this must sound. Finally, I said, “Well, yeah, if you don’t mind.”

After I told Cal about the dream and about the deal on shocks and struts at Performance Unlimited, he laughed and said, “OK, Bub, I’ll check my shocks today, just to make you happy.”

As we were about to hang up, I heard Cal ask, “So, have you check your shocks and struts?”

“Good idea,” I said, surprised that I hadn’t thought of that.

* The 4-for-the-price-of-2 offer on shocks and struts from NAPA is good through the end of March and does not apply to labor. Expect to wait two to three weeks to receive your reimbursement in the mail.

For more information, or to schedule an appointment to have your shocks and struts checked, call Performance Unlimited at 815-728-0343 or visit www.4performanceunlimited.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is your antifreeze safe from freezing this Richmond winter

You still have time to have it checked Well, there’s no denying it – winter tends to get chilly here in Richmond. We have to deal with snow and ice on the roads, scraping the same off our windows and windshield, and staying warm while we drive. Of course, you had your antifreeze checked before winter rolled into town. What?! You didn’t have your antifreeze checked before winter clamped down on Richmond? So, how’s your antifreeze doing?  If you haven’t had it checked, there’s really no way of knowing, is there? This car has overheated in the middle of a Richmond  winter. But, on the other end of the spectrum, the antifreeze can also freeze if it's not up to its job. Hopefully, you haven’t had a serious problem with your antifreeze already. If you did, you’d probably know. When antifreeze fails, it’s a potentially catastrophic condition for your vehicle’s engine. You could have hoses that have burst because of freezing antifreeze. Worse than that, your engine block may have crac...

Blocks of ice falling from cars in McHenry could cause accidents or damage

We’ve all seen those blocks of snow falling from behind the rear tires of a car when the snow rolls into McHenry . Fortunately, they’re just packed snow that will disintegrate under your vehicle’s tires as you simply drive right through them, right? Don’t count on it. Those blocks of snow are often packed so tight, condensed by the thaw-and-freeze cycle, that they’re anything but oversized snowballs . They’re often more like boulders.  Hit one of those blocks and the collision between the block and one of your tires could send you careening off the road or into oncoming traffic. In some cases, they’re so solid you could pound them with a sledgehammer with little effect. They truly can represent a serious road hazard. The problem is that it’s difficult to tell how solidly they’re packed when you see them on the road, left their unwittingly by another driver. Either way, your best bet is to try to avoid them. But you want to be careful dodging blocks of ice in the road, too. You need...

October 20 Hootenanny will benefit veterans with PTSD

Been to a Hootenanny lately? When you read that question did you ask, “What?” Well, if you have gone to a Hootenanny in a while, or if you don’t know what a hootenanny is, we have an event for Oct. 20 that will clear up either question. From 6 p.m. to Midnight, Saturday, Oct. 20, MC3, the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce business networking group, is helping to host an inaugural Veterans R&R Wild Horse Hootenanny at Beyond Stable Farm (11129 Rte. 176, Woodstock). The event will benefit Veterans R&R Operation Wild Horse. Operation Wild Horse serves veterans with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Working with the horses has proven to have an incredibly calming effect on the veterans. And, it’s good for the horses, too, rescued wild mustangs. This means that the hootenanny is for a very good cause. But, it’s also a lot of fun. So, what is a hootenanny? According to a Google search, a hootenanny is “an informal gathering with folk music and sometimes dancing.” The V...